Lemony Green Beans with Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Preparation time: 10 minutes Portions: 4
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 300g green beans, trimmed
- 1. Zest the lemon into a large bowl using a fine grater.
- 2. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze in the juice from one half.
- 3. Add in the extra virgin olive oil and season with freshly ground black pepper. Mix well.
- 4. Bring a pan of water to the boil. Once boiling, steam or boil your beans until tender.
- 5. Drain well, then tip the cooked beans into the bowl with your dressing and toss everything together, making sure all the beans get coated.
- 6. Have a taste, and squeeze over the remaining lemon juice if you think it's needed, then serve.
- Dressing vegetables while warm helps them absorb some of the dressing, which means less dressing is needed for seasoning.This very simple dressing can be used for all kinds of veggies.
- Use this recipe to learn how to balance the oil and acidity in a simple dressing.
- The beans can be served hot, warm or at room temperature, but if they sit in the dressing too long, they will start to discolour. So either eat them straight away, or dress them just before you want to eat them.