Hearty Healthy Mexican
MEXICAN RICE-STUFFED CAPSICUMS
Written by Michelle Theodosi, Dietitian at Sylvania. Article from July 2019
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups cooked rice (brown or basmati)
- 2 x 400 g can mixed beans (salt reduced), drained and rinsed
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup sweet chilli sauce
- 4 red capsicums
- ½ cup reduced-fat grated tasty cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley or coriander, plus extra to serve
To serve with salad or steamed vegetables
- Preheat the oven to moderate, 180ºC (350ºF). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine the rice, beans, zucchini, tomato, corn and chilli sauce in a large mixing bowl and toss together well.
- Slice the top off each capsicum and remove all seeds and white membrane. Arrange the capsicums on the prepared tray and spoon the rice filling into each one. Sprinkle with the cheese and parsley.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes until the capsicums are tender. Serve topped with parsley or coriander and with salad.